GX470 - Paint New Rims!
I’ve been searching for a set of new rims and tires for my GX470 for a while, and finally bought a set of SR5 4Runner take off rims with decent tires for $350. My area isn’t a popular area for Toyotas, so not many rims for Toyotas come up for sale. I was searching for one of the following sets:
- SR5 4Runner takeoffs
- 4Runner Trail Teams
- TRD Pros
- Sequoia takeoffs
Basically anything that would fit my GX470, that wasn’t the rims it came with. Finally bought this set, and decided to paint them bronze. It’s popular now.
Anyways, my prep was:
- Pressure wash rims and center caps
- Remove Lexus logos from center caps
- 320 grit sandpaper
- 400 grit sandpaper
- Wash the rims thoroughly
- Clean the tires with tire shine, so if you get any paint on them it will come off easy
- Line the outside of the rims with 3”x5” notecards
- A couple coats of Rust-Oleum Filler Primer with sanding after each coat. I used 4 cans on my 4 rims and center caps
- Plasti-Dip the Lexus logos, did maybe 6 coats and used less than half a can.
- 3 coats of Dupli-Color Bronze Wheel Paint, I used all 6 cans of this.
- Super glue Lexus logos back to center caps
- A few coats of Dupli-Color Wheel Clearcoat. I used matte because it is all my local auto store had.
Here are the progress pictures!
Bought these rims, $350 with tires
Cards around rim/tires
Primer (bottom left rim only)
Primer - all 4 Center caps painted with bronze Lexus logo on center cap First coat of bronze Center caps glued back on More coats of bronze Spray bronze on the inside so there are no unpainted spots Last coat of bronze Clear coat, really lightens the color up Before rims Half and half